Monday, May 11, 2015

We turned his whole world upside down!

Baby news!
Yup! Little harder#2 was successfully flipped around!
I went into triage Monday at St B and they started me off with an IV and blood pressure readings... Trouble is we had a very spunky nurse who took my "I have difficult veins" comment as a challenge, and decided to let her student nurse do my IV....while my blood pressure was being taken... Ha. Did I mention how much I hate needles!? Ya my BP was like 160/110 haha! They took it again immediately afterward and it was still 151/10_(something).... So they are all freaked out and I am trying to tell them that they are stupid for taking my blood pressure WHILE giving me an IV...BY A STUDENT... I had taken it just over an hr previously at home and it was a nice calm 117/81... So they then do unnecessary blood work which my Dr has JUST done a week ago (they really listened to nothing I said...). the blood work would have been necessary, had my BP actually been elevated... I did however make them take one last reading before moving me to another room, and it went down to 130's over 80's... So at least they eventually got the picture...

Yes, the IV ended up half-way down my forearm on the inside bone... But it was the FIRST ATTEMPT! I was pretty impressed. Good job student nurse!

So, IV in place, blood stolen, they put me on the monitor thingey for about 10 minutes to make sure baby was happy. 

After this we went to an operating room for the procedure. They do it in an OR as a precautionary measure, so that they are all ready to do an emergency c-section if baby's heart rate drops suddenly (which didn't happen). That way they just kick Curtis out, knock me out through the IV and get baby out. Thank goodness that's not how our little dude is being born! But good to know they can act so fast in an emergency! 

 Curtis got to put on "greens" for the procedure... And might I add, he looked pretty darn cute in them! 

The ECV itself wasn't actually that long. Maybe 5 minutes. It's all the pre-post stuff that took time. It wasn't painful, Mostly just uncomfortable as the Dr was putting a lot of pressure on things located directly on top of my bladder (but, TMI, I held it all together!!), as well as lots of poking and pulling of skin around my c-section scar.  He pushed the head left and the bum right. It took three tries but his comment while scanning after the third try was "that bum looks an awful lot like a head!" Haha! At least he didn't say the head looked like a butt!! I'm okay having a child with a nice looking bum! ;) all jokes aside, baby was successfully turned into the proper head-down position. afterward they monitored me for a little over an hour just to make sure baby was still happy, and he was quite happy and active. Everything they like to see. 
Initially the Dr was a bit concerned after the flip, since baby's hand was sort of  wedged up above his head, between his head and my pelvis. After a second quick ultrasound and seeing the strip from the 1 hr of monitoring, he was very happy to see that the hand had moved.
The concern was that baby can't properly "engage" in the pelvis if there's a hand in the way, and therefore could more easily flip back up. So either way it would still have been considered a successful ECV. But his comment was "your baby seems to be the only one who is doing what it's SUPPOSED to do today!" And "This is better than textbook". :) job well done doc and baby!
Tuesday, I saw my OBGYN who confirmed that this little guy stayed in place overnight! So it looks like all-in-all we had success! 

Curtis News: 
Another busy week for Curtis!
He has been busy patching little dents on our walls, and fixing popped screws, so that when the painters come later this week, they can do touch ups with the can of paint we still have from last time.
He had a helper with the tape... :)
...and other things...
Work has also been busy! Always lots to do. They have been working on a very major rennovation in an already well established neighborhood, which has resulted in him being able to pass out several business cards. It's always good to make a connection!
He's managed to get a couple "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" deals too, for some of the work on our house.

Josiah News
Always busy! He's spent a decent amount of time with his grandparents this week, what with all my chiropractor appointments, fetal assessment, ECV, and OBGYN appt. But he is healthy and happy about it all. 
He's beginning to think more about baby. We set up a bassinet on the main floor and I think that is starting to help him understand that there is a baby coming to our family. 
I actually purposely put the little Colorful rings on it, so I can remind Josiah on a regular basis that "this is the baby's toy". And he always puts it back up there when he takes it down. It's nice to see him getting so curious. 
On another Josiah topic, We are starting to realize just how teeny tiny our little man is, now that we are getting clothes from Curtis's sister Bonnie. In the above photo, Josiah is wearing a sweater that his cousin Jace (12 months old) just outgrew... :) just a li'l guy! At least he'll be the oldest in his school classes one day, as a JANUARY baby. That might help by a small margin.

Other than being happy with all his "namnga " and "namngni" (grandma and grammie) time, we have enjoyed some good bonding too, as the distance has made our hearts grow fonder!

Not to mention, the days have been quite tiring for us all... It's incredible how exhausted we have all been for our various reasons. Curtis for working like a dog, me with baby and stress about the ECV stuff and blood pressure, and Josiah from having his routine changed almost daily these days 


Krysta News: 

Mother's Day was a welcomed relief! Curtis took Josiah and I out for brunch at "Lee's on DeVriese" where they had a Mother's Day special going on, and also made me a mug with Josiah's photo on it. We celebrated our moms as well throughout the weekend, so it was nice to be able to have our own little time together too. 

As you can imagine, knowing there was a chance of an emergency C-section with the ECV, I began going into crazy nesting-mode. 
There's the bassinet on the main floor (since I wouldn't have been able to do stairs right after a c-section), and then this little set-up in our closet... We've also got the glider in our room and a rocking cradle is the next thing to move in!

After the ECV I crashed pretty hard. I was just exhausted for a day and a half. Must be the release of all those stress hormones or something. Sometimes you just don't realize how stressed you are over something, till it's over eh?

Mom and I also had a very full day (more like 2 days when all is said and done) of food prep. My deep-freeze went from half-full to barely close-able!  Three large slow cookers full (pulled pork, chili and taco chicken meat), 2 bread makers (sausage buns and BBQ chicken pizza pockets), plus we made turkey meatballs,  taco beef, breakfast burritos, chicken Parmesan, and enchiladas! Yup...very busy day, and some very sore feet by the end of two days (between pre-prep and post-clean-up). 

We prepared it all to be dairy free just in case that becomes an issue again this time around. I was also blessed that Curtis's mom popped by and kicked out Josiah and I for over an hour so I could sit down.

Today (Wednesday) my mother in law also came by to defrost my freezer for me! This was a welcomed relief and made it much easier to organize and list everything in my freezer. Plus, now I know any mamma-milk that I freeze wont get freezer burn!



Well, it's been a busy week, but this is the end of this weeks post! Thanks for reading! 

Prayer requests:
-my blood pressure seems to be creeping up slowly, post-ECV. pray it will go back down 
-I have some bruising from the ECV that makes me nervous about rupturing during labor, since it is near my c-section scar (it's likely just bruised tissue, and just my anxiety that needs prayer, but still!)
-that baby will stay head-down
-for energy to finish tasks before baby comes (for Curtis)
-that my body will go into labor naturally by my due date, to prevent induction (VBAC is drip only... No nice subtle induction techniques...)
-that health will keep improving
-that we will cherish these last few weeks with only Josiah. 



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog post. Praising the Lord with you. Such an amazing week it has been. Love ya...praying for ya...Mom

    ReplyDelete